Started on the bottom part (yay!) of the plastic part today. My goal is to make the bottom edges a bit rounded - flat on the bottom, but a more sloping corner. I’m having issues keeping my whites white and my grays gray. I’m currently using titanium white, cadmium red hue, and erm…. something yellow, and all of my paints are from the brand Utrecht. It’s a bit hard to make the texture look like plastic, but I’ll fix those issues later and get the general idea of the shading now. Also, I really need to work on taking these pictures from the same distance. I’m having a few problems, but generally, the whole process is going swimmingly! Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
Not much progress, because time was limited today. I tried to lighten/blend the top of the spool and take out some of the drastically darker values. It looks darker than the previous picture, because the lighting in the basement room is funky, so it looks a bit different from picture to picture. I used mineral spirits with it today, something I haven’t used in a while. Also, I’M RUNNING OUT OF WHITE PAINT. EEP. Well, I guess I’ll have to get some soon. Anywhoo. Happy New Year to all of you, and I’ll keep sharing my progress! Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
So I’ve lightened up the top of the spool, but I think I need to make it a bit more white rather than colored. Almost finished the shading for the top plastic (need to lighten it up still) but I have a ways to go on the bottom. Despite the bit to go, I’m getting closer and closer each day! Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
So yeah…. I’ve gotten much further on the shading for the top of the plastic portion. I think I need to make the inside shading a little less gray and a little more of the yellow-red off-white color. The inside is getting a bit blue, but that’s not what I’m aiming for. There are a couple brushstrokes going in weird directions that are driving me crazy, but I’m pleased with my work overall today. More will be completed after the new year! Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’
YAY SHADING. As you can see, I’ve started the shading for the top portion of the plastic. I need to round the shading on the back plastic portions, because right now it looks flat on the inside. I’m using burnt umber and my ultramarine blue for the greyish shading on the plastic. Also, my photography skills still suck. The entire photo is tilted. Sorry guys, lol. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
I’ve increased the amount of the off-white. I had less time during the class period, so I couldn’t get as much done as I had wanted. The ellipse on the bottom of the spool was funky at the beginning, and it didn’t match the top. I went back and created a new ellipse for the bottom of the spool with an almost pure white. It’s ocassionally difficult because I’ll accidentally mix the partially-wet red paint with the white to create a pink, which I don’t want. Not too happy with today’s work, but oh well. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
Slightly better on the photography skills this time. The background is definitely more green than blue now. The big brush, while useful, is annoying me. 2’ x 3’. Oil on canvas.
I’ve decided to go for a green instead of a blue for the background. The two tube-fresh primary colors would have just been a bit too garish. Ive gone back to using the big brush instead of the smaller one. I enjoy using the large brush, it just seems a bit awkward. 2’ x 3’. Oil on canvas.
HALLELUJAH! I’m basically finished with the red thread of the spool. There’s still definitely work to do on it, but it’s a giant accomplishment. (Also, I took the picture slightly tilted) I’m going to add highlights and shadows to accentuate the threads. Soon on my list of things to do is to create the look and feel of plastic for the top and bottom and then do my background. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.