It’s finally starting to resemble the spool that I’m trying to emulate. I’ve started to add white for the highlight. Hopefully soon we’ll be able to put two nails in the wall to serve as an easel, because we can’t find one big enough. The canvas will simply hang on the two nails, rather than trying to get proper lighting while it’s laying on the table. 2’ x 3’. Oil on canvas.
More red. I need to make sure the values of the red match the yellow underneath. My art teacher suggested that I use alizeran crimson for the darker tones and I’ll use my cadmium red hue with a touch of white for the lighter highlights. I’ve also noticed that my commentary on the art has gradually become slower. Anywhooooo. I’ll try to give more explanations of what I’m doing. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
So. I finally finished the cylinder. It’s still a bit too dark on the right side for my taste, because I think it takes away from the illusion of curvature. I also think I need to vary the values around the highlight on the thread, and get a tad darker on the left curve. Up next on my to-do list is to fix a few of the smaller issues for the top of the spool as well as setting a background choice, or at least values for the background. I think this is a pretty major benchmark for this piece. Message me with constructive criticism. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
Ok. So I’ve improved the values on the top portion of the spool - More drastic lights and darks. Ermmm….. There’s not much to say about the piece right now. I’ve found a change in the way I paint though. Previously, my nose would be about an inch from the canvas. Now, I’m standing up with the painting at more than arms length, and I’m skipping around the tables, a stroke here, two there. By far, this is the most fun I’ve had with a painting since 8th grade. I’ll start groovin’ and dancin’ around it and one of my classmates gives me the funniest look. C’est la vie. Anywhoo. Oil on canvas. 2’ by 3’.