So yeah…. I’ve gotten much further on the shading for the top of the plastic portion. I think I need to make the inside shading a little less gray and a little more of the yellow-red off-white color. The inside is getting a bit blue, but that’s not what I’m aiming for. There are a couple brushstrokes going in weird directions that are driving me crazy, but I’m pleased with my work overall today. More will be completed after the new year! Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’
YAY SHADING. As you can see, I’ve started the shading for the top portion of the plastic. I need to round the shading on the back plastic portions, because right now it looks flat on the inside. I’m using burnt umber and my ultramarine blue for the greyish shading on the plastic. Also, my photography skills still suck. The entire photo is tilted. Sorry guys, lol. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
I’ve increased the amount of the off-white. I had less time during the class period, so I couldn’t get as much done as I had wanted. The ellipse on the bottom of the spool was funky at the beginning, and it didn’t match the top. I went back and created a new ellipse for the bottom of the spool with an almost pure white. It’s ocassionally difficult because I’ll accidentally mix the partially-wet red paint with the white to create a pink, which I don’t want. Not too happy with today’s work, but oh well. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
Rightso. I’ve added an off-white. It’s not the paint that I was going to use from my art teacher, but it’ll work. The only difficult part will be consistently mixing it to be the same color. I think it looks more purely white in the photograph than it does in real life, but that’s a result of the funky digital pictures and my iphone’s camera quality, from which I upload my pictures. I’m pretty happy about the progress of my painting, and I’m so excited to see where the picture will go. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
I brightened up the highlights today to match the new color tone. It’s going really really well! I do have to blend a bit more on the left side, and maybe work on fixing the gradual changes in values. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
Much brighter? I think yes. I’ve still got a lot to blend, but I’ve made the color of the red much closer to the actual spool’s tones. Keep plodding onward! Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’
I cleaned up a lot of the lines on the red part of the spool. I accidentally put some sort of a funky shadow on the top left of the red part, so I think it kinda look like it’s crumpling inward. Life is tough for a spool. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
Not much different than yesterday, although it seems a bit darker in the photo than it does in real life. I cleaned up some of the edges, and I have to work to hide marks and remove the “halo” around the spool. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
I’ve gotten much farther on the green background. One of my friends described it as a “good explosion of the color wheel”. The nickname “The Christmas Spool” has also emerged. It’s moving quickly now, because I’ve gotten accustomed to the large brush again. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
HALLELUJAH! I’m basically finished with the red thread of the spool. There’s still definitely work to do on it, but it’s a giant accomplishment. (Also, I took the picture slightly tilted) I’m going to add highlights and shadows to accentuate the threads. Soon on my list of things to do is to create the look and feel of plastic for the top and bottom and then do my background. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.