I’ve gotten much farther on the green background. One of my friends described it as a “good explosion of the color wheel”. The nickname “The Christmas Spool” has also emerged. It’s moving quickly now, because I’ve gotten accustomed to the large brush again. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
Slightly better on the photography skills this time. The background is definitely more green than blue now. The big brush, while useful, is annoying me. 2’ x 3’. Oil on canvas.
I’ve decided to go for a green instead of a blue for the background. The two tube-fresh primary colors would have just been a bit too garish. Ive gone back to using the big brush instead of the smaller one. I enjoy using the large brush, it just seems a bit awkward. 2’ x 3’. Oil on canvas.
Lol. An even more tilted fail at photography on my part. The red is finished and I’m adding the blue background. I’m really starting to like what’s happening, and I’m excited for the eventual final product. 2’ x 3’. Oil on canvas.
HALLELUJAH! I’m basically finished with the red thread of the spool. There’s still definitely work to do on it, but it’s a giant accomplishment. (Also, I took the picture slightly tilted) I’m going to add highlights and shadows to accentuate the threads. Soon on my list of things to do is to create the look and feel of plastic for the top and bottom and then do my background. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
I guess you can see that I’ve got a new background for the painting. We don’t have a real easel to put it on, so the painting is currently wedged between 2 nails. It’s reallllyyyyy fun. <3 I’m having a great time with it. 2’ x 3’. Oil on canvas.
I think I’m finally starting to get the real feel of the string. I’ve lightened up the dark areas on the left, and I think I’m pulling out the highlights well. I also think I’ve fixed the brushstrokes. My art teacher and I had the idea to follow up this painting with two smaller paintings - a thimble and a needle. I think the idea of thread is so philosophical, and it’s fascinating to me. Also, I noticed later that the yardstick happened to be lying next to the painting, so I guess you can see the scale of the painting. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.
It’s finally starting to resemble the spool that I’m trying to emulate. I’ve started to add white for the highlight. Hopefully soon we’ll be able to put two nails in the wall to serve as an easel, because we can’t find one big enough. The canvas will simply hang on the two nails, rather than trying to get proper lighting while it’s laying on the table. 2’ x 3’. Oil on canvas.
More red. I need to make sure the values of the red match the yellow underneath. My art teacher suggested that I use alizeran crimson for the darker tones and I’ll use my cadmium red hue with a touch of white for the lighter highlights. I’ve also noticed that my commentary on the art has gradually become slower. Anywhooooo. I’ll try to give more explanations of what I’m doing. Oil on canvas. 2’ x 3’.